(Photo curtesy of Darya Pino)
I eat avocados pretty much every single day…there are so many amazing health benefits of eating avocados but here I can only share five reasons why!
- Avocados are full of healthy fats – in particular monounsaturated oleic acid which has been shown to reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) and increase HDL (good cholesterol). Oleic acid also helps reduce blood pressure and alleviates type 2 diabetes. Avocados therefore are good for your heart and may reduce heart disease.
- Avocados are full of super vitamins and minerals – vitamins A (healthy skin), B (healthy nervous system), C (supports immune system), E (healthy circulation), K (healthy bones), potassium (regulates blood pressure) and magnesium (lowers anxiety and stress).
- Avocados contain lots of phytonutrients – these clever little things can help prevent cancer. Carotenoids have been shown to inhibit the growth of prostate, breast and oral cancers. Letein has been shown to reduce breast cancer.
- Avocados are very low in sugars – unlike other fruits avocados have a very low sugar content so won’t cause those sugar highs and lows!
- Avocados protect your skin – the carotenoids present in avocados have been seen to reduce UV damage to the skin. They are also high in antioxidants which help protect against the free radicals that cause those wrinkles!
Avocados are super easy to add to any meal and guacamole makes a delicious dip for any time of day!