This is a serious winter warmer. Lightly spiced and delicious it is also FODMAP friendly (for those of you who are on this tricky diet like myself.)
Ingredients (seves 5):
7 x carrots, 6 x parsnips
2 x tbs garlic oil
2 x springs of rosemary
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
Spices: 1/2 tsp each of: turmeric, coriander, cumin, asafoetida, 6 x cardamom pods (bashed), 3 x cloves, 1 x bay leaf, 1 x star anise, 1 x knob of ginger (grated)
1 litre water
1 tbs rice syrup or honey
2 x lemongrass stalks (bashed)
Juice of 1 orange and x slices of orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Roughly chop the carrots and parsnips and roast in the oven along with a good glug of olive oil, 1 tbsp of rice syrup or honey, the rosemary and salt and pepper for 40 minutes.
- Heat up 1 tbs of garlic oil and add the grated ginger, all the spices, the bashed lemongrass, orange peel. Fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes until nice and fragrant.
- Add the roasted parsnips and carrots and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add 1litre of water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and juice of the orange.
- Remove the cardamom pods, the bay leaf, the lemongrass stalks.
- Using a stick blender, whizz until smooth.
- Add seasoning to taste, add more water if you like your soup less thick.