(Image curtesy of Steph on Flickr)
I eat blueberries everyday in my breakfast and here are five reasons why…..
- Blueberries are rich in phytochemicals – in particular flavonoids which are responsible for the deep blue color of blueberries. Flavonoids are bursting with anti-inflammatory properties which help protect against numerous diseases.
- Blueberries are rich in Vitamin C – an essential nutrient that helps boost the immune system, lowers blood pressure, improves the mood and helps repair wounds.
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants – helping protect us against free radical damage that can cause cancer and helps reduces those wrinkles. Blueberries also contain high levels of folate, which helps with DNA synthesis and repair and therefore helps prevents the formation of cancerous cells.
- Blueberries help improve cognitive function – the anthocyanins in blueberries aid cognitive function by improving memory and motor coordination.
- Blueberries help protect against cardiovascular disease – our bad cholesterol (LDL) can become oxidized and damaged – a cause of various cardiovascular diseases. Blueberries lower LDL oxidation, helps lower blood pressure, and the anthocyanins reduce the risk of heart attacks.
Blueberries can be used in a variety of ways – in baking, puddings, breakfasts, as a snack… More reasons to try adding them to your diet!